Heartburn is a symptom that occurs when we don’t pay enough attention to our health. According to some research, healthy food can save us from heartburn and junk food can help heartburn to occur. The factors of heartburn occurring are the following:
- Acidic products (tomatoes and citrus fruits)
- Alcohol consumption
- Cigarette smoking
- Such diseases as diabetes, and asthma
- Hiatal hernia
Principles of eating when you have heartburn
If you suffer from acid reflux then you should be interested in the topic of which food is useful for you. What can you eat, and what can’t? Which food cause heartburn? What is a diet which allows you to avoid exacerbation of the symptoms? It is obvious that some products aggravate your discomfort, and some are really perfect and even beneficial. Nutritionists have made few lists of products which can be really useful for you if you have heartburn.
Some rules to control heartburn
1) Eat more and less. It will help to prevent an excessive production of stomach acid.
2) Eat slowly. One of the ways that will help you to slow down the speed of eating is the habit of putting a fork or spoon on the table between bites.
3) Don’t go to bed with a full stomach. Eat up to 3 hours before sleeping. It will allow nighttime natural heartburn relief.
4) Avoid food that can cause heartburn: coffee, alcohol, junk food, onion, garlic, mint, chocolate, citrus fruits and juices, tomatoes, spicy food, all kinds of sauces and ketchup.
5) Lose weight. If you are overweight, it aggravates the symptoms.
6) Chew gum. It can provide short-term relief of heartburn by stimulating the production of saliva which is exempt from the excess of stomach acid.
7) Drink warm liquids. After drinking a glass of warm water or herbal tea after a meal, it will help to dissolve your stomach acid.
8) Drink a lot of water, it helps our digestion. But please don’t drink too much water at one time!
Good products for you if you have heartburn:
- Bananas and sweet apples
- Such vegetables as baked potatoes, well-cooked carrots, green beans and peas
- Lean meat, chicken fillet and fish
- Fat-free or low-fat milk products
- Natural Antacids
All these products can save you from heartburn and all awful feelings which caused by it. You should always remember that before choosing some diet, you should visit your doctor and have a consultation. Healthy food is a key to a healthy body!